Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 10 Dec 1992 02:36:47 +0100
On Wed, 9 Dec 1992 20:13:43 EST Anthea Tillyer <ABTHC@CUNYVM> said:

>What exactly does  this mean, Eric? That LISTSERV will  delete all these
>non-functioning nodes  from the individual  lists? Will LISTSERV  try to
>substitute  an internet  address if  there is  one? Will  the owners  be
>informed of all this?  are you saying that we don't  need to do anything
>about this?

Concretely, let's say CUNYVM installed the 17E-002D fix and also switched
from XMAILER to LMail. Every time  LISTSERV@CUNYVM sent mail to a user at
a nonexistent node,  LMail would complain back and  LISTSERV would remove
the user from  the list automatically, with a message  back to the owner.
It  cannot substitute  Internet addresses  because it  doesn't have  this
information.  Such a  substitution  will take  place automatically  every
month based  on ':newnode' tags  in BITEARN  NODES, but many  nodes don't
bother providing this data before leaving the network.

  Eric