Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 6 Apr 1995 20:41:24 +0200
The source of  the duplicates has been positively identifed  as being the
SEARN-SEGATE link.  In the last few  days it has suffered  from bursts of
errors that last about a minute and cause  the link to go up and down and
up and down. SEARN-FINHUTC is also affected in the same manner and at the
same times, even though  it is much less busy. The  NJE and SMTP protocol
share the same design flaw about confirming the arrival of a file. If the
connection is lost at  the wrong time, the file can  be duplicated. It is
more  visible  with  LISTSERV  because  the  file  that  gets  duplicated
typically goes  to hundreds of  people whereas  private mail goes  to one
person or two. Anyway, there isn't much I can do about it other than hope
that it  is one of these  random network problems that  appears on Monday
and goes  away 3  days later.  There is no  parameter to  tweak, it  is a
network problem. The  software or hardware hasn't been  changed in months
on either side. The ethernet these machines  sit on sees a lot of traffic
and I've  brought this up  within SUNET, but that's  about all I  can do.
I've subscribed to  this list under a  different address so I  can see if
the problem persists.

  Eric