Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:17:25 -0500
On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, John Cottingham wrote:

> At 10:19 AM 8/15/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I am being inundated with spam sent to the "-request" address for my list,
> >FILMUS-L.  Presently I'm getting about 5-10 spam messages a day this way.
> >I have tried using the filters in my e-mail client (Novell GroupWise 6.0.1)
> >but this is like shoveling sand against the waves.
>

> I believe the list-request address is used by the listserv to notify you
> that a non-subscriber attempted to send something to list@listserv....
> Several years back we went to verify on subscriptions and it has kept the
> mass spam off our list.

?????????

When a non-subscriber attempts to send something to list@listserv, the
notification is sent to the editor/moderator/primary listowner.  When
I get these, they are addressed directly to me, not to the "-request"
address.  Most of them are either spams, or a list member posting from
an address that he or she is not subscribed under.  I haven't gotten
any spams for a while (knock on wood).

The "list-request" address exists so that individuals can write the
owner of the list without having to know who the owner personally is.
It appears that the "list-request" addresses of a number of lists have
been deluged with spam; fortunately I haven't gotten any (once again,
knock on wood).

Dennis