Mon, 1 May 1995 10:02:14 +0100
In a previous message, s.merchant wrote:
: [log in to unmask] wrote:
: >Sorry but I've only just picked up this thread, and as a list maintainer
: >myself I too am interested in finding a solution.
:
: Well, that's encouraging, though one still gets the sense that the
: attitude at Demon is: "This is the way we do things and why, the rest of
: the world will just have to adjust." E.g.,
:
: >Paid to do what ?  Go through everyones mail directories and remove any
: >list mail that may bounce ?  [Paid to fix your mail system was the intent.]

But our mail system is not broken.

: >I'm not promising anything but it seems to be that this would be a
: >workable solution.
:
: You don't need to promise anything.  I think the parameters of this
: problem are well understood, and I don't intend to thrash it out further
: on the lstown-l list.  When and if Demon has a solution in place, I'll
: change my policy.  I'm certainly willing to cooperate and make
: adjustments _where the software I use gives me the control to do so_
: ("adjusting" my attitude to the point that I start looking forward to 8-
: and 31-day old bounced mail doesn't qualify :-)).  Having pointed out
: the problem and protected myself from it, I don't see it as my mission
: to change Demon's religion (pun not intended).

The main problem here is that we want to be RFC compliant, and there is
no RFC which dictates a different procedure on sending warning messages
to list mail.

        Regards,
                Dom.
--
  Demon Internet - IP level dialup Internet connectivity for GBP10 a month
  Snail-mail: 7th Floor, Gateway House, 322 Regents Park Rd, London N3 2QQ