Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 15:49:05 -0400
>    I do not know whether I may call "pirates" the GreenDisk Journal.
>    However, I find deplorable that they request information for free
>    -taking advantage from the good will within Internet and the
>     research/academic comunity- and sell it afterwards.
[rest of message & GreenDisk reply deleted]

Mmm ... I don't know.  I will grant you that anyone with access and net
savvy can get the information for free.  What *I* would be willing to pay
for is the work the publisher went to to collect the information, verify
it, collate it, and publish it.  Certainly if the cost is roughly the
equivalent of the wage per hour I spend getting the information for myself.

If GreenDisk is also trying to be a non-profit, trying to cover their
costs, I at least wouldn't have reacted as you did.  Not that I can't
understand -- we've been asked to provide list information for a profit
making organization, and simply either ignored the request or sent a polite
little refusal.

The one problem, of course, with published Net guides is that they are
obsolete even as they are being published ...

>        Aldo-Pier Solari (Listowner FISH-ECOLOGY, FISH-JUNIOR).

Mario Rups
co-listowner, ARCANA