john riehl <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 May 1994 15:42:43 PDT
On Thu, 5 May 1994 09:31:01 -0500 Bob Parks said:
>Thanks for those who took the trouble to educate me - flame or otherwise.

Well, i thought one flame deserved another.

>Can't listserv be taught to look for bounces, and automagically unsubscribe
>bounced  (or  set nomail or maybe a new set bounced).  Such a feature might

this has been done to an extent.  The problem is that there is a myriad of
forms of rejection mail, a lot of which mangles the address to which it
was sent, especially if mail was forwarded along the way.  Not all of these
forms are decipherable to a useable form.  Autodelete does help, however.
I do run all my lists with the auto delete.  (as compared to confirm,
which is on most of my lists).

>john riehl wrote:
>>Second, at USCVM, we have had (and still have) a number of lists of
>>interests of groups of people that others love to harass.  Confirmation
>>prevents people from subscribing under an alias merely to sending
>>harassing mail.  Flame off.
>
>I don't see how the alias problem is solved but maybe that is in the
>definition of an 'alias' - maybe it does solve it for some 'alias' attempts
>but certainly not for *real* harassers.

perhaps Alias is not the correct term.  Bogus address may be more accurate.
The problem is that a person, without confirm, can change his from address
to [log in to unmask]  He subscribes with this name, sends a
piece of racially, ethnically, or sexually inflamatory mail to the list
in question, and is done.  People on the list are at least offended,
and the person cannot be responded, let alone dealt with because you dont
really know who he is.  With confirm, the confirm notice is sent back
to the false address, bounces, and ultimately times out.  The false
name is not subscribed, so the objectionable mail is not successfully
posted to the list (this scenario implies that send= private).  With
some of the lists at USC, this has been a significant issue.

jr
(john riehl)