Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Jan 1995 12:00:00 PST
On Fri, 6 Jan 1995 14:34:05 GMT,
Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]> posted to [log in to unmask]:

>I'd like to know if anyone could give me a pointer to the Systems
>Senior-in-Charge at @SSP.NMFS.GOV

Use the 'NSLOOKUP' utility.   Ask for the 'type=SOA'
("start of authority") record for the domains 'SSP.NMFS.GOV' and/or 'NMFS.GOV'.

You'll get the answer that [log in to unmask]
is the ID of the "responsible" person.

Or, contact the [log in to unmask] ID listed in the "transcript"
which you posted.

>This is the problem: We have 4 subscribers from the above site; They
>are auto-deleted by LISTSERV around 4-5 times/month; The subscribers
>are highly motivated to receive their FISH-ECOLOGY mail and have had
>the patience to contact our request address many times; I  have  had
>to  wait some time when auto-deleted and put them on again and again
>It seems their  Postmaster  is  not  aware  of the technical problem
>[recipients list at the site ?] and the error goes on and on.
>
>I *will not* drop highly motivated subcribers because a Systems  man
>does  not  his  job properly and I would like to contact The Boss on
>the site so the Postmaster there sharps his working edge.
>
>Any help will be most appreciated.
>]
>]List of deleted users:
>]
>] "G. Boehlert" <[log in to unmask]>
>] "S. Stedman" <[log in to unmask]>
>] "J. Orr" <[log in to unmask]>
>] "M. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>

Use NSLOOKUP to find the four 'TYPE=MX' records for 'SSP.NMFS.GOV', namely:

  SOLIDSPARC.SSP.NMFS.GOV, preference=0
      CCGATE.SSP.NMFS.GOV, preference=10
     FRE2SUN.SSP.NMFS.GOV, preference=20
    KINGFISH.SSP.NMFS.GOV, preference=30

Notice the "preference" settings.

They indicate the order in which the hosts are to be contacted,
in order to try to send each piece of E-mail,
i.e., SOLIDSPARC should be contacted first.
If SOLIDSPARC does not open a connection, then CCGATE   should be tried.
If CCGATE     does not open a connection, then FRE2SUN  should be tried.
If FRE2SUN    does not open a connection, then KINGFISH should be tried.

As a side point, ask NSLOOKUP for the names of the hosts which provide
DNS service for the 'SSP.NMFS.GOV' domain, and you'll get the answers
'SOLIDSPARC.SSP.NMFS.GOV' and 'NS2.PSI.NET'.

Now, the transcript you included indicated that the connection was
made to 'FRE2SUN', i.e., the "second-alternate" server,
which implies that both the "primary-server" ('SOLIDSPARC')
and the "first-alternate" server ('CCGATE') were unable,
or unwilling, to open a connection.

I would take it as a "bad" sign when 50% of the machines are "down",
especially when one of the "down" machines is one of the DNS servers
for the domain.

The only "cure" for the problem is to prevent those machines from going "down",
which, of course, isn't very feasible, since they seem to be functioning
as an inter-dependent "cluster", i.e., if one machine in the cluster goes
"down", then the services it was providing are no longer available for the
other machines in the cluster.
+++
]  -Transcript:
]   -Rcvd: 220 fre2sun.ssp.nmfs.gov Sendmail 4.1/3.1.090690-National Marine
]          Fisheries Service ready at Mon, 12 Dec 94 09:23:37 EST
]          gripes to [log in to unmask]
    -Sent: HELO segate.sunet.se
]   -Rcvd: 250 fre2sun.ssp.nmfs.gov Hello segate.sunet.se ([192.36.125.6]),
]          pleased to meet you
]   -Sent: MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
]   -Rcvd: 250 <[log in to unmask]>... Sender ok
]   -Sent: RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
]   -Rcvd: 550 <[log in to unmask]>... User unknown
]   -Sent: RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
]   -Rcvd: 550 <[log in to unmask]>... User unknown
]   -Sent: RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
]   -Rcvd: 550 <[log in to unmask]>... User unknown
]   -Sent: RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
]   -Rcvd: 550 <[log in to unmask]>... User unknown
]   -Sent: QUIT
]   -Rcvd: 221 fre2sun.ssp.nmfs.gov closing connection