Kenneth Udut <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Jul 1995 12:07:08 -0400
On         Sun, 16 Jul 1995 12:00:24 PDT, Dave Gomberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jul 1995 10:53:27 -0400 you wrote:
> >I've been sending fake subscriptions and postings to EDTECH.
> >Result:  You can subscribe anyone you like at any address and
> >name the person anything you want.  It the list has open subscriptions,
> >it goes right through.
>
> As the original suggester of Confirm, I for the life of me cannot see why
> ANYONE would have a list that is NOT confirm.  Dave
>
> Dave Gomberg, Experimenta      San Francisco CA USA   [log in to unmask]

I can see why some people wouldn't have Confirm on their lists.

Now, I think Confirm is a wonderful idea that works for many lists and
many listowners.  The reason my lists aren't set to Confirm is that
there are a number of Fidonet, UUCP, and other store/forward methods
of accessing these two mailing lists.

If they were set to Confirm, these people wouldn't not be able to
subscribe, unless they explicitly asked me to do so.  Now, it's
really not a big deal, I suppose, to ask them to go the extra couple of
steps of contacting me (if the Confirm option expired before they could
fully subscribe), but I don't want to burden subscribers with that.

I guess that my philosophy, and those of the subscribers is different.
The occasional spams don't bother me, just like a rambling idiot
walking along the street muttering to himself doesn't bother me.  It
isn't a topic of conversation on the list, as subscribers are too
involved in the topics at hand to worry about the occasional silliness of
spammers.

Now, if 30 or 40% of the messages to my list were spams, I might set the
Confirm option, and lose a number of potential subscribers.  But, at
least for now, as from the beginning, I just ignore them.

I worry more about a newspaper reporter subscribing to do a news story
and quoting my subscribers without their permission.  And that's only
because I have a small problem with making things said in a 'safe space'
public.  But even that's not a big deal.

[and if I hear one reference to "But England ignored Hitler's activities",
I'll probably leave this list for a while!  :-> ]

        Until we next meet again...

        Ken