Paul Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:39:55 -0400
I notice that when I issue the INDEX command for a mailing list the list of
files archived comes back with, among other things, the record length for
the archived file.  Since there doesn't seem to be a standard length why
are the lengths  constantly changing?  Wouldn't it make for "better" file
managment if all the files had a constant record length, such as 60 or 80
or somesuch? How does the record length affect the way we get the archived
files--do they wrap around an 80-column screen if the record length is
greater than 80, or is there a connection?