Sun, 9 Apr 1995 00:42:01 -0500
The second part of my reply.

On Sat, 8 Apr 1995, Aldo-Pier Solari wrote:

> ] From:    Winship <[log in to unmask]>
> ] Anyone interested in setting up a "listowner's defense trust" for such
> ] situations?
>
>     A  brilliant  idea.   I  believe there should be such a trust to
> back up listowners+sysops+sites.   In  the  above  described case, I
> would say I got the feeling the listowner [whom  I  exchanged  ideas
> with]  may  have  been  ruined  (academically,  economically) by the
> *jerks* who hired the lawyers.  Also, some *jerks* would do anything
> to  harm   a   listowner/sysop/institution/   when   kicked   off  a
> conference/site.  Most jerks claim "the constitutional right to free

I don't know that it's brilliant, just an idea, like others I've thown out
to the list.  It might be a good one, though.  As I brought it up, I'll
play devil's advocate (anyone else feel free to chime in, the devil needs
the support of his demons).

For a true trust fund it would need to be formally established, according
to the laws of the state/country wherein it resides.  Presumably, the
trust manager would invest unused funds to earn money and would disperse
what was available to those in need.  That would mean formal agreement as
to "proper" listowner behavior, possibly a union, with dues (proceeds
going to the trust fund), rules on dispersal of funds, etc.

Last time I checked (couple of years ago) there were about 150 subscribers
to LSTOWN-L.  If you take that as "core" subscribers, and each puts in
$100 a year, you're talking a measley $15,000.  Maybe enough for a
retainer for a top attorney, but not for all the following expenses,
especially if we're talking both civil and criminal cases from one
complaint.  $500,000 per case, maybe?  Depends on how sharp the
complainant/prosecuter is.  Remember, we might be getting into not only
free speech but also, possibly, copyright law, plus maybe local laws on
the use of state supported resources, etc., etc.

If *all* LISTSERV listowners were willing to join in this it might be
possible.  But there are many who don't subscribe to LSTOWN-L and who
probably couldn't care less (not trying to denigrate anyone, I know there
are lots of listowners with small, strictly local lists, and they just
haven't the concerns of listowners of larger, multinational lists).

I trust you get the gist of this.  For anything of this sort formal
organization is needed (unless you're fool enough to just send me your
money, which I assume none of you are) and the support of *all* listowners,
not only LISTSERV listowners either.  Without those, I can't see it
working, much as I wish there were something of the sort.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L