Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:20:39 -0600
> > Can anyone tell me how do I delete a mailing list?

John Lyon replied:
> Since you posted this on the List Owners forum, then I assume you are not a
> Postmaster (Server Admin). List Owners do not have authority to remove lists.
> If you are a Postmaster, then you should be asking on that forum:

While a mere listowner cannot totally delete a list from a LISTSERV host
site, he can do a practical, for his purposes, equivalent.

First, send a note to the list that the list is going to shut down,
permanently.  Then, send, to the host site, the email message:
quiet del LISTNAME *@*

Then send: lock listname

You can stack those in one email, if you like:

quiet del LISTNAME *@*
lock listname

With no subscribers, and the list locked so no one can subscribe, there is
no fucntional list.   You could also change the Subscription keyword in
the list header to CLOSED.

Of course, you should contact the host site administrator to have the list
totally deleted, but the above should serve, I think, in short term
practice.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]