Wayne Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:46:04 PDT
--- On Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:53:08 EDT  Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Interestingly enough (and completely off topic) I found a copy of the
>source code to Phil Zimmerman's PGP in Borders the other night.  About
>600 pages and about $60, nice hardback-bound book.  So tell me that
>the FBI controls encryption in this country...:)  Anyway, the Justice
>Department dropped its investigation of Zimmerman several months ago,
>which seems to have left him free to distribute PGP without restrictions
>(although he apparently still hasn't been able to get an export license).
>
>Nathan

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

I was at the WestNet technical conference last year.  Phil was one of the
quest speakers.  He came in and sat down right next to me, I had no clue
who he was, and this person was so normal looking.  What should I expect
right ;-).  Anyway, he was just finishing up this book, and was hoping
the sales would be good to help pay for his legal expenses.  The complete
source is in the book.  Apparently the export laws only apply to actual
electronic transfers of code and all.  The export laws couldn't touch
the distribution of this book in other countries.

Phil's full story is very interesting.  Couldn't have happened to a
nicer guy.

--

Wayne Porter - [log in to unmask]