"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 8 Jul 1995 03:31:06 -0400
  I also received these subsciptions and because of at least one of
  the addresses which is a front address for a dirty tricks operation
  we ignored them.  We recognized the one address at leasat as
  potnetially danGEROUS AND IRREPONSIBLE USE OF ACCESS TO SECURE
  DOMAINS. Given your address, perhaps you are not overly paranoic.
  My experience has been poor with this group at times frightening
  because they are attacking the internet and at least part of the US
  administration as well as infiltrating Euoprean groups. The ultimate
  effect is disruption which discredits your list, work, research and
  ultimately the GOVERNMENT WHICH YOU REPRESENT IN THE FINAL
  INSTANCE.aS i HAD BEEN WORING ON OTHER MATERIAL AND SOME MAJOR
  ISSUES THROUGH OUR FILES YOU CAN TRACE3 THEM ATTACKING NATIONAL
  ECONOMIES, HEALTH CARE INITIATIVES, US PLANS FOR URBAN AND RURAL
  REOGANIZATION AND RAISING ISSUES AT THE UN WHICH CONTRAVENE THE
  CHARTER. I have not yet figured out exactly what interests they
  represent as it looks like anarchy in our archives, but they will
  also try to invade the electronic threads of your PRIVATE LIIFE.
  YOUR PARANOIA IS JUSTIFIED -- Paul.

> Last night I received five subscriptions to my (normally very quiet)
> AEROSP-L list, from different nodes but with suspiciously similar
> and fictitious-sounding names:
>
> [log in to unmask]                              Mr Vortex
> [log in to unmask]                 Mr Stumble
> [log in to unmask]                          Mr Nimbus
> [log in to unmask]                          Mr Fiend
> [log in to unmask]                    Mr Sheik
>
> "Mr. Stumble" also apparently subscribed to my NASMNEWS list, and was
> auto-deleted as an unknown user.
>
> Does anyone recognize this pattern?  Am I being set up for some
> kind of spam or flame war?  Given the current controversies surrounding
> our museum, I'm feeling just a little nervous about these subscriptions.
>
> --
> Barbara Weitbrecht
> National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]