Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:07:34 -0700
On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:42:12 -0500, Barbara Passmore <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Is this okay?  I don't know how the AOLers received the post but I would
>assume that the listname does not appear on their subject lines either.

Listname on the Subject line requires the SUBJECTHDR setting.  FULLHDR or
FULL822 replaces SUBJECTHDR so the Listname on the Subject line no longer
happens.  This is pretty well documented.

>No one has contacted me about it.

Yet...  They may.  Or not.  Wait and see.

>So I don't know what the above means, whether FULL822 is correct or whether
>it is obsolete and has been replace by FULLHDR which is what I have always
>seen. Is the way the options should read as to header?

FULL822 is an obsolete setting and may disappear from future versions of
LISTSERV.  For now it is still supported.  In small volumes it has no
measurable impact on the server.  In larger volumes it can, since it forces
LISTSERV to prepare a separate, individual email message for each such
recipient.  Normally LISTSERV sends mail by BSMTP (Bulk SMTP) means where all
recipients at the same destination (e.g. all *@aol.com) are grouped and sent
together.  Sending 1 message to aol.com with 172 addresses is "easier" on the
sending server (and the receiving server at aol.com) since only 1 file is
created and handled and much fewer total bytes are sent.  Sending 172 separate
individual messages, means handling 172 separate files, takes longer, results
in many more total bytes sent, etc.

Now adding 172 small emails to the total server load is not really a huge
difference, but if all list owners did it for all destinations, it would have
a very large (negative) impact on the server.

>Also is there anyway I can get the feedback information without going
>through the admin of Listserv?  I see it requires the access numbers which I
>do not have.

AOL intentionally has designed their feedback loop mechanism only for
"Postmasters" or Server Administrators, i.e. the person(s) fully responsible
for the internet "behavior" of a given machine or group of machines.  List
Owners typically are not also Server Admins (some are of course) and they
don't have the necessary access to control the server's "behavior" so AOL is
not interested in working with List Owners at this lower level.