Thu, 14 Dec 2000 09:48:39 -0600
> There's a proposal under discussion in SPAM-L to establish a
> MAPS-like blacklist for "open-loop" lists.  What this really means is
> anybodies guess, but I've confirmed with the author that a Listserv
> list with "subscribe=open" qualifies... *even if send=
> [log in to unmask]* because a subscription could be forged and
> the valid postings would be UBE to the victim.  What I'm unclear of
> is, what are the effects of the DISTRIBUTE mechanism in all of this?
> Do Backbones (in the worst case for this scenario) distribute to
> regions/domains outside of themselves? In terms of _risk_ could an
> inept postmaster see [log in to unmask] being delivered via some IP of
> a regional backbone outside his own domain and accidentally cut off
> all lists distributed through that site to his own domain?

Of note.. one of the pushers of this proposal has set up this web page:
http://www.hatcheck.org/listlist.html
The List of Black-Hat Lists

"The goal of this list is to enccourage list owners and list administrators
to adopt a list-management system that confirms all subscriptions, and to
encourage site administrators to take an interest in the activities of anyone
running a list server on their system."

and

"How to Get a Mailing List Added to the List"
If there is a mailing list that you were subcribed to without your
permission, try to subscribe the address [log in to unmask] to that list."

  ...Cleo  [log in to unmask]