Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:48:59 -0500
On 9/8/2004 1:41 PM, Tabariasl, Hamid wrote:

> Many of the list subscribers did not get the message posted to
> [log in to unmask] Below is screen shot of error message. I am
> not sure what caused the error message.
>
>>Error-For: [log in to unmask]
>>Error-Code: 0
>>Error-Text: 552 5.5.3 Too many recipients
>>Error-End: 124 error(s) reported

The error message states that the message was rejected due to "too many
recipients". This indicates that the inbound mail server for cmsu1.cmsu.edu
is configured to reject any message where the number of recipients exceeds
some specified threshold, and the number of recipients on the message exceeded
that threshold. The error message also shows that 124 errors were reported.
This indicates that there were at least 124 recipient addresses on the message.
If a message is posted to a list which has more than 100 subscribers, LISTSERV
will send multiple copies of the message, each with up to 100 recipient
addresses. This error message seems to indicate that administrator of the
system on which your list is hosted has explicitly changed the number of
recipients per message. This is not a problem that you, as a list owner, can
resolve. You need to talk to the administrator of the system on which your list
is hosted.

For more information, see the discussion of the MAXBSMTP site configuration
keyword in the Site Configuration Keyword Reference.

1.8d: http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/sitemgr/appendc.html
1.8e: http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/sitemgr/sitemgr.html#_Toc9062592

--
Paul Russell