John Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:46:59 -0500
> I could use some advice on transferring a list to another server.   I want
> to just bring in a couple, not merge all at this time.  But I am
> transferring from one server 1.8c to another server 1.8e that has the web
> version.   Our old list did not have web access.   We have exchange 5.5 as
> our mail server.   Do I need to do anything there when I am transferring.
> I understand somewhat of what I need to do, but not the full picture.
> HELP

Chapter 7.15 discusses migrating lists to another server. What I suggest
is to get the 1.8e up and running making sure you can send to and receive
mail from it. Getting the web interface working at this time is also a
good idea. Pick one list and copy the  x:\listserv\main\listname.*  files
to the same directory on the new server where LISTSERV is installed. Then
edit the Notebook= line to reflect the new path on the new server. (This
can be done with the new web interface or via GET/PUT). Generally this
would be something like:   x:\lists\listname   Then make sure this path
exists on the new box.

Now copy over all the old notebooks to this directory. This would be all
the LISTNAME.LOG*  files. Do NOT copy over the *.DB*  files as LISTSERV
will re-build those. You would then do all this for each list.

Copy over all the x:\listserv\main\signup.*  files.  These contain all the
users addresses, registered names and personal PWs if any. After a
stop/start of LISTSERV you should be ready to go except for web archives.
I would suggest using the site.exe to do this. Start and select Advanced >
Web Archives > Lists. Now just add the lists you want web access to the
archives. Be sure to stop/start LISTSERV after any changes.

Note:
For web archives to be active on a list, all it takes is a listname folder
under the main archives folder. With IIS this will generally be
x:\inetpub\wwwroot\archives\listname (or whatever you have configured)
So this can be done manually also.

As far as Exchange (or any outbound SMTP server) all you should need to do
is make sure it will accept relay mail from the new LISTSERV box.