"Heller, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:25:25 -0700
Hi,

We are interested in setting up a list that does not require the "firstname lastname" component in a subscribe email coming from the potential subscriber. For example, we want

SUBSCRIBE LIST-Y to work just like SUBSCRIBE LIST-Y FIRSTNAME LASTNAME works.

The list documentation notes:
LISTSERV insists on having a "real world" name for everyone on the list, because addresses such as [log in to unmask] are not very informative to the other users of the list. Normally, LISTSERV will extract both your e-mail address and your real name from the mail headers generated by your computer. But some computer programs do not supply any real name, and LISTSERV may ask you to resend the command with your name....

How can we "turn off" the need to include the full name?

Thank you,
Paul Heller
Sr. Community Developer
Classroom Connect