Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:16:32 -0500
On 9 Feb 99, at 9:45, Margaret Levine Young wrote:

> What do you all think? Have you tried rotating footers? We choose that
> method because no one wanted multiline footers (which appear over and over
> in digests, not just at the end of the digest, at least in ListProc), and
> because we can throw in the occasional silly or philosophical tip to keep
> people reading.

I use the rotating footer on my list, though it is multiline -- the first line is
always how to unsusbcribe and the rest is some other tip (I have 10
rotating tips about setting nomail, setting digest, setting index, URL for
the web page, etc. (BTW, in LISTSERV, the bottom banner goes only
once into the digest, in the first part of the digest with the table of
contents, unless you specifically tell it otherwise)

It doesn't matter. They still don't read it. I still get people asking how to
unsubscribe, what to do when you go on vacation. I have a farewell
message that goes out and mentions that the digest option is available
and people regularly write back saying that they'll resub with digest,
because they didn't know it was available.

Maybe I could try slipping in silly or philosophical lines, and people
would start reading the tips looking for the next "funny". Thanks for the
idea.

Francoise