Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 12:47:31 PST
> Date:         Sat, 9 Nov 1996 10:27:38 -0800
> From: S R E <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: Standardizing the From: line
>
> Here are two entries from a real list I own:
> > [log in to unmask] Steven R. Eckert                                              1AAMGBCx91//
> > [log in to unmask] S R E                                                           1AAMGJCx9h//
> Note that special characters (the '.') do not cause escaping or quoting,
> and that you are not limited to two words for the name.

But, I think the question was, how does one "standardize" the names
(of the subscriptions) so that the punctuation in the "From:" lines
is constant.

While your example "Steven R. Eckert" is not quoted/escaped in your
subscription entry, it would be if it were to appear in a From: header
line of a LISTSERV message posting (while the "S R E" name would not
[as indeed it wasn't in the From: line of your message above]).
Peter R