Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 10:27:40 +1000

> Maybe the simple work around is to have an account reserved
> for this and
> publish the email/password right on the main page entry to
> the archive. Do you see any problems with this?

Apart from other people's comments, it should also be pointed out that if
you publicly advertise where you hide the key to your front door, any
enterprising spammer (or anyone else, for that matter) who's dead-set
determined to get in *will* get in.

> Good to hear this - though I'd be interested to know what
> lines Listserv
> uses. I'd like to strip out everything except the subject, date, from
> address and body if it didn't mess with pre-existing search urls.

If you've been playing around with the archives you'll have noticed the line
of equals-signs between posts.  *Do not* alter these in any way...there is a
specific number of them (73, I think) that LISTSERV looks for to determine
where one post begins and the next one ends.  Everything in between is yours
to munge.

IMHO, it would be a bit pointless to take out any poster's address
altogether as this changes the context of the message and any replies.
Perhaps a much easier thing to do would be to perform a simple
search-and-replace and change all @ signs to something else (eg. # or * or
+, etc).  This is usually good enough to fool spambots.  I use the format of
user#domain.com when posting to public newsgroup and since starting this
practice my level of spam has gone down dramatically.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.