Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Mar 1994 11:42:02 EST
On Tue, 22 Mar 1994 16:24:44 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>On Tue, 22  Mar 1994 09:00:20 EST  Nick Laflamme <[log in to unmask]>
>said:
>
>>However,  Eric's  never  made  any   inclination  of  trying  to  ensure
>>uniqueness, and he's the one who can make it possible if he so chooses.
>
>But how would I do that? All  LISTSERV can know is that there are several
>lists with the same name. It can't know which are misconfigured and which
>are  the   "real"  ones.  I   suspect  you  wouldn't  want   LISTSERV  to
>automatically delete your list if it finds it is a duplicate ;-)

No, but you might require me to use an extra keyword
(YesIknowthisnameisalreadyused=yes?) if I want to create a list that
doesn't have a limited service area whose name matches a name in the global
list of lists.  Otherwise the list creation request gets rejected.  :-) If
I get such a rejection, it falls to me to either rename my list, limit its
service area, or convince someone else to either rename or limit their
list.

(This doesn't address the issue of existing lists, but it at least might
slow down the proliferation of duplication?)

Lest anyone wonder, I don't mean to give the impression that I or anyone
else had submitted this to Eric as a requirement of LISTSERV.  :-) It
merely occurred to me that the server is the best place to catch this.

>  Eric
Nick

* ------
* Come to the 1994 VM Workshop: June 7-11 at the University of Notre
* Dame!  User Experience talks, dialogues with IBM, and presentations
* from other vendors in an informal setting.  Contact me or sign up for
* [log in to unmask] for details!
***
* "40+ million users might all be politically incorrect,
* but they're the users I support."