Sat, 31 Jul 1999 00:08:52 -0500
Someone, Lydia Fish I think, asked about "preventing" HTML postings.  If,
as I do, you equate "prevent" with "reject"  in the manner in which items
which exceed the sizelimit are rejected, I know of none.  I do think that
is the way NOHTML ought to work, though.

At present NOHTML simply strips the HTML part when you have a plain text
version and then an HTML version.  What does it do when there is NO plain
text part, it is ALL an HTML attachment/application (I get those, I'm sure
others do also)?  And what about those whose "enriched text" system puts
HTML markup at the beginning to control the rest of the text with no
further markup?

When LISTSERV simply strips the HTML stuff out the people sending the
stuff often do not know their system is doing it; they don't believe
me when I tell them it is and please fix their mail system.  To me,
far better the item is rejected out of hand and a notice sent, like
with the sizelimit.

As it does not work that way I have no use for NOHTML; I take care of it
myself by keeping those who do such things on REVIEW and reject them
manually.  Periodic reminders to the list that we do not accept material
sent in that manner, of course.

Douglas