"George D. Greenwade" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Feb 1992 16:24:38 CST
On Mon, 24 Feb 1992 15:30:33 EST, Jim Gerland - User Support Services
<[log in to unmask]> replied:
>On Sun, 23 Feb 1992 13:04:01 EST Karl Signell said:
>>Aren't VAX/VMS email users normally under size restraints for incoming
>>mail?
>
> No, they are only limited by the amount od disk space they have available
> to thier account.  Here at UB, we give undergrads 1,000 blocks.  I've heard
> all ranges from 350 to 3,000 blocks though.

Then there are other sites which allow much higher limits, sometimes
limited only by what the disk space available is on the drive (i.e., VMS
systems don't *have* to have quotas set).  My MAIL.MAI file, alone,
sometimes exceeds 9,000 blocks (net of attached MAIL*.MAI files over 3
blocks each).  Of course, I am not your general run of the mill user; my
point is that the limitations are not really all that OS-specific in nature
and I often find that it is U*ix mail sites which like to bounce what they
believe to be large files back to me.  In general, I find that files less
than 45k (90 VMS blocks) can get to almost anyone.

--George