Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:29:00 -0400
Thanks, Ben.  I was afraid of this: here I've been with that
damn barn door open for ten years . . . I get so much spam that
of course I'd never notice an increase (thank God for
spamassassin), but I expect subscribers get more than they would
otherwise.

-- Russ

On 13 Jan 2005 at 8:13, Ben Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:38:01 -0400, Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >We're running 1.8e.  It looks to me as though anybody going to
> >
> >http://listserv.unb.ca/archives/stlhe-l.html
> >
> >could just harvest the email addresses.
>
> Yes they could with 1.8e and previous versions.
>
> > What's 14.3?
>
> The newest, recent release version of LISTSERV.  It was announced on LSTSRV-L
>
> <http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0412&L=lstsrv-l&T=0&F=&S=&P=891>
>
> and on L-Soft's Website:  http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv_143.asp
>
> >If my email address were harvested from a
> >list archive, how would I know that
>
> You would receive more new and interesting spam at that email address.  Of
> course if you have always had the same address for a long time, then you may
> not notice this increase among all the spam you already get.  But it does
> happen.
>
> >and why would the list be affected?
>
> The list itself probably would not.  But the email addresses of many list
> members harvested would also receive more new and interesting spam.

St. Thomas University
http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/