Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:11:18 +1100

>How many steps are required of a brand new user with no password before
>the message goes to the list owner (when joining via the web interface)?

If your users can get to the initial sign-up page
(http://your.domain.name/path-to-wa/WA.EXE?SUBED1=<listname>&A=1) without
being challenged for a password then the only confirmation they should need
to do will be for confirming their request to join.  I've found that in
practice all attempts to sign up through the web interface require a confirm
procedure via email.  (I'm assuming the reason for this is to determine that
the email address is genuinely valid.)  They shouldn't need a personal
password until they revist the web interface to view posts or alter
subscription options and therefore won't need another confirm process until
that time.

It appears to me that your best solution is to explain more fully to new
members the process they'll be going through.  You could do this by altering
the web templates and/or the email confirm templates.  That way they would
know what to expect and not be as confused by the whole process.

Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Nature has provided us with two ears, two eyes, and one tongue, to the end
that we should hear and see more than we should talk." - Socrates

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.