Robert Ponterio <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 23:47:37 -0400
Many of our AOL subscribers seem to be having trouble accessing our
FLTEACH list archives:
 http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/archives/flteach.html
or any other WWW pages at:
 http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/

From what we have determined from a pole of subscribers:
1. They used to be able to access the archives.
2. About two months ago they began having trouble.
3. When they try to connect, they see a message indicating that
something is being transferred but the transfer seems to stop at about
39% (several reported that number).
4. This seems to be affecting a good portion but not all of our AOL
subscribers, and when one contacted online help at AOL, they were not
able to get the page either.
5. The AOL subscribers seem to either have a problem or not (i.e. all
the time), no one reported intermittent problems (of course, I can't be
sure about this).
6. They are all able to access LISTSERV archives at other sites (I asked
them to try http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/ to verify this).
7. No non-AOL subscribers seem to be having this trouble, and the
Buffalo site seems to be working just fine to me.

One subscriber said that the problem started after an upgrade to Mac OS
8.5. Another said that the problem was the same whether connecting from
a Mac or a PC.  For two who were running the same Windows OS and AOL
software, one had the problem but the other did not.

I can't see any pattern, so any ideas, additional information, or at
least confirmation that this is a problem for other list archives at
Buffalo would be appreciated.

TIA
Bob
Robert Ponterio                  | [log in to unmask]
co-owner of FLTEACH              | State Univ. of New York Cortland
Foreign Language Teaching Forum  |
http://www.cortland.edu/flteach/ | http://snycorva.cortland.edu/~ponterior/