Mark Hunnibell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Nov 1995 14:28:23 -0500
Greg:

You said:

> Now, I'd like to search these library files based on specified criteria
> much like I can do for my list database.  Is this possible and if so,
> how is it done?

I am not familiar with VM enough to even remotely have a clue how to do this,
but the answer to your question is, I think, it cannot be done with the
current version of LISTSERV for VM.  I wanted to do the same thing. I wrote a
workaround for this a while back but it's not working at the moment (minor
mod needed and other chores taking precedence).  The workaround involves
having a duplicate set of files on a Unix host and using a perl script to
go through and search for the files.  One thing that *does* work is a
simple text phrase search.  You can see this at:

        gopher://global.kidlink.org/77g/allmenu

This host is running gn, which is a Gopher-compliant server that has an
integral search engine.  Almost all the files on the host here are
duplicates of our LISTSERV library files which are on a remote host and
updated via an AFD script setup (see previous post by me today).

My plan is to update the (currently) non-functional perl script so that
it can be accessed from a WWW form.

Depending on your knowledge of how all this stuff works, I suppose you
could do some magic with NFS disks and symbolic links to avoid
duplicating files on different hosts, but I don't know about all that
stuff and the solution I came up with works as good as needed.

Good luck.

Cheers

Mark Hunnibell                  Email: [log in to unmask]
KIDLINK Gopher/WWW Coordinator  http://www.connix.com/~markh/index.html