Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 00:30:17 -0500
At 02:38 PM 1/9/97 EST, "Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>Could someone interpret the following for me:
>>  Unavailable; notary status was 5.1.1
>>     "             "    "     "  5.1.2
>>     "             "    "     "  5.4.4
>
>The LISTSERV-oracle sez:
>
>To find the answer, e-mail [log in to unmask]
>the following (thanks RAF):
>
>/* --------------------- clip and save ---------------- */
>//ListSrch JOB Echo=no
>Database Search DD=Rules
>//Rules DD *
>search * in lstown-l.10322
>print
>/*
>//  EOJ
>/* --------------------- clip and save ---------------- */

All well and good, *except*....

1. That article is just excerpts from RFC 1893 (which I already had, thank you).

2. The original poster was asking why the word "notary" is used.  That article
does not explain this.  I retrieved the article to look for that explanation.

So, since I've gone to that trouble, can someone explain *why* it's called
"notary status" instead of something like "status from DSN" which would make
more sense (to me, anyway)?

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the fact that RFC 1891 and
RFC 1894 refer to the "NOTARY working group of the IETF", but that's
a pretty silly reason to insert the word "notary" in the error message
for RFC 1893 codes, and wouldn't explain why NOTARY is used there anyway.

Thanks for any insight,
Stan.