"Robert A. Hayden" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 16:04:20 -0500
Hi everyone, I have a question for you on how I shoudl handle a situation.

We recently had a new user sign on to all four of our mailing lists
(incidently, to quickly explain, we [the co-owner and myself] run four
ShadowRun related lists, two for story-writing, one for rules discussion,
and one for a rules-cration project).  Since he has come on, he has been
at the very least annoying.  Annoying I consider to be ok (although
annoying).

When I attempted to write him to ask him to curb his annoying behaviour,
he grudingly agreed and shaped up a little.  This morning, he posted
something along the lines of "The CIA/NSA/FBI all read your email and
grep for important words to they can catch evil subversives"
(paraphrased).  I responded asking him to cite his source or to refrain
from the spreading of disprooved internet urban legends.

The response (in private mail) arrived from a *.army.mil site (instead of
his usual *.uk site) and it said basically "I know what I'm taking about,
and if you don't believe me, look at my address.  That shoudl show that I
know what I mean".   He also went on about "why are you picking on me so
much".  Well, I attempted to respond to him and ended up with a bounced
message stating that the account at the army.mil site he mailed me from
did not exist (user unknown) and I telneted to the smtp port and
verified.

I then wrote a message to my co-owner (who may be on this list)
explaining that I was concerned about hsi user, and I CCed both that
message and the bounce message back to the original *.uk account that the
user is registered on the lists from.

Now, for the question.

It is my belief that this iser will continue to be a disruptive influence
on our lists.  He has repeatedly violated FAQ guidelines and then only
agreed to follow them "because [I'm] the listowner".

I would like some opinions about what I shoudl do about this user.  I
don't want to involve his aministration at this point, because i don't
think this warrants anything but an internaal response.  I'm not sure if
I have enough justification at this point to revoke his membership on the
lists, and I really don't want to.  But with 500 other subscribers, many
on pay systems, their needs must also be considered.

____        Robert A. Hayden          <=> [log in to unmask]
 \/  /   Finger for Geek Code Info    <=> Political Correctness is
   \/  Finger for PGP 2.3a Public Key <=> P.C. for "Thought Police"
(GEEK CODE 1.0.1)  GAT d- -p+(---) c++(++++) l++ u++ e+/* m++(*)@ s-/++