Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 16:12:33 EST
>If Nathan reads this: it is very stressing (not to mention frustating)
>to receive that when you are a new owner . I would suggest you add a
>specific note about the "AAAAA" Invalid address thing when we try to PUT
>the list back ...

I can see how 2.6 of the list owner's manual could be misleading, but
with all of the other bloodthirsty warnings around about how it is not
a good idea to get the entire list, I'm not sure that it would do any
good.  2.6 does say that if all you're going to do is change keyword
settings that it is probably advisable to use the (HEADER switch.  I'll
amend this for the next revision so that it is clear that you should
ALWAYS use the (HEADER switch, but if people don't read the manual
to begin with, again, I fear it won't do much good.

In any case I think new list owners ought to look at the Quick Start
manual first, and that manual <does> say <not> to get the entire list
and <not> to try and edit it by hand.  We've never endorsed editing
subscriber lists by hand because there are commands (with error checking!)
to do that via LISTSERV.

Nathan