Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:16:08 -0600
On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:38:57 -0500, "Muth, Jane" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Is there an easy way to edit or delete messages to a listserver.  I've
>read a section in the L-Soft manual regarding this, but I'm a bit
>confused by the process and was wondering if there was an easy way to do
>this.  It would be nice if L-Soft created an edit or delete button.

Aside from academic and law enforcement (or other) institutional applications
where the "chain of evidence" (connected flow of previous list messages)
should never be allowed to be broken by editing, there are circumstances in
businesses and other kinds of institutions with closed (non-public) lists with
limited audiences, where editing of the archives may be necessary or even
desirable for reasons that are agreed to by that list/audience or where such
editing may occasionally be necessary for legal compliance reasons (e.g.
HIPPA, SOX, etc.).

It can be done, but it is not easy.  An "edit" button for list message
archives (or similar mechanism) has been on the Request List for new features
for some time.  In the meantime, message archives can be edited in the fiels
directly on the server (if you have appropriate access, or know someone who
does) or via the time-honored email GET/PUT method.  See the List Owner FAQ
for details:  http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/owner-faq.stm#_Toc73848590