Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Sep 1994 19:11:33 -0500
> >                         Why can I add one without affecting the other
> >but not delete one without affecting the other?
>
> Because when you're adding, LISTSERV assumes you know what you're
> doing, and takes you at your word about the form of the address.  When
> DEL/NOMAILing an address LISTSERV is saving you some worry by doing
> the extra checking.

So LISTSERV assumes I know what I'm doing when I add but assumes I
don't know what I'm doing when I delete or set nomail.  Interesting.
I've noticed that LISTSERV does mention in the confirmation when I
add my bitnet address that the internet address is already a subscriber
-- in case I'm unaware of the duplication.  It would seem logical for
the same thing to happen when deleting -- delete the one address and
mention the other address in case I'm unaware of it.

> >Next question. [...]
> >Why is my dog's name given in the cc of this message to listowners while
> >my name is given as the listowner who sent the command?
>
> My guess:  It probably has to do with where LISTSERV acquires the name.

Somebody else sent me that as a possibility in private mail.  As I said
before, I was just curious.  The subscribers don't mind seeing his name.
On the Internet everybody knows he's a dog...

> >(I did not, of course, send any command to alter subscription options for
> >[log in to unmask]  I sent the command to set maynor@msstate to nomail.)
>
> According to LISTSERV's rules, that statement is self-contradictory.  I
> don't think you can do one without the other.

Oh for the good old days before our bitnet-internet equivalency was
registered...

Thanks for your reply, Bill.
   --Natalie ([log in to unmask])