Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 11:38:40 -0500
        John Buckman writes:

> We've set up a new WWW site for finding LISTSERV lists.  It is part
> of the tile.net project . . .

        I am troubled by your inconsiderately including lists without so
much as a prior word to the listowners.  Your action will very likely
cause me additional problems I have neither the time nor the desire to deal
with.  For example, you give no description of my list, WMST-L, saying only
that its name is WOMEN'S STUDIES LIST.  Without a description, that gives a
rather misleading impression of the list's focus.  People will subscribe,
expect to find discussion of gender-related societal issues (and probably
start sending such messages to the list as soon as they join), only to find
that the list is really an narrow, academic list for discussion of Women's
Studies teaching, research, and program administration.  In the meantime,
their inappropriate messages will have disrupted the list and have caused
me to spend time I don't have explaining the reasons for the list's focus.

        Also, if people subscribe through the contorted gatewayed address
you provide, they'll probably wind up in trouble when they try to post
messages, especially since all the list's instructions tell them to use a
different, more straightforward address.  Then they'll write to me asking
why they can't post, and I can waste more time trying to explain the
problem to them.

        In sum, WMST-L is a narrow, academic list aimed primarily at
Women's Studies professors, researchers, librarians, and program
administrators.  It doesn't need publicity in the world at large, and it
certainly doesn't need inadequate and misleading publicity.   I am writing
to register my strong objection to your actions and to ask that you remove
WMST-L from your WWW site.

        Joan Korenman        Internet: [log in to unmask]
                             Bitnet:   korenman@umbc