Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:46:32 -0400
>Below is a problem brought to my attention by one of our list owners. I
>took a look at the list definition, but didn't see anything immediately
>funny. Any ideas?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Seth Johnson
>
>---------- 6/13/00 10:36:09 AM - jaknox ----------
>For the past several weeks, the listserv database entries for my name are
>not consistent.  The name that appears on the listserv confirmation
>messages is incorrect. See example below:
>
>(Confirmation Message)
>Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:53:47 -0500
>From: "L-Soft list server at University of Illinois at Chicago (1.8d)"
>
>To: George Balaban   (THIS SHOULD BE JANICE A KNOX)
>Subject: Message ("Your message dated Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:53:43...")
[etc]

Administrative messages make use of the name LISTSERV has on file for
the user.  This registered name can be changed in a number of ways.
Here are a few that you might find useful.

The user can issue the following commands:

        SUBSCRIBE listname User's Real Name
        (If the user is already subscribed to listname, this just updates
                the name field.)
        REGISTER User's Real Name
        REGISTER OFF
        (REGISTER OFF removes any name association for the email address.)

You can also issue a "[QUIET] ADD listname email@address User's Real
Name" command to correct the problem--again, if the user is already
subscribed to the listname mailing list this just updates the name.

>However, when my messages are posted, the name appears correctly.  See
>below:
>
>(Posted Message)
>Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:53:43 -0500
>From: Janice A Knox
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: 4hours: Tuesday, June 13, 9-11 csop - Mariusz Stanisz
[. . .]

When a message is posted LISTSERV generally passes along the user's
name as it appeared in the original message sent to the mailing list.

Thanks,
--
Jacob Haller, Technical Support
L-Soft international, Inc