Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 13:52:49 PDT
Joan,

Unattributed, uncredited comments ('...mask the identity of the message
writers...') doesn't avoid any copyright (and what about courtesy?)
obligations of obtaining permission to use the author's work.

Furthermore, and perhaps as important in this case, by obscuring the
authorships of messages, it means the students can not follow one of
the important tracks of such a lesson ('...in the way arguments are
advanced and evidence is used...'), namely that of identifying and
understanding how a single author's ideas might evolve in the light of
other authors' commentaries.

Peter