Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:40:46 -0400
At 11:37 AM -0700 9/16/98, Liz Marr wrote:
>Some time ago, I read about a Listserv feature (could be 1.8d) that allows a
>person to sub or unsub to a list by simply sending a message to a hashed
>address that includes the listname - something like:

>The server then taks the user information from the message headers and
>ignores any other information in the message.  Try as I like, I cannot figure
>out the syntax for this special list "address."  Also, just how many
>specialized addresses are there with Listserv software?  I know about and
>use on a regular basis listname-request@, owner-listname@, and simply
>listname@  - what others are there besides these and the above "sub" or
>"unsub" addresses?
>
>Liz Marr
>
>--
>^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^
>   SAR-Dogs Discussion List

Part of the difficulty is that it depends to an extent on what version of
LISTSERV you're running.  The sub and unsub-specific addresses weren't
added until version 1.8d, which may be the reason you're having trouble
using them.

In 1.8c it looks like the following addresses are associated with any given
mailing list:

 listname
 owner-listname
 listname-request
 listname-search-request
 listname-server

Sending a test message to the latter two addresses indicates that the
search-request address can be used for searching archives and the latter
aliases to the hosting listerv (e.g. listserv@whatever).  I've never had
cause to use them.

-jwgh