Maureen Leblanc <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:33:01 EDT
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>At 4:32 PM -0400 10/8/97, Maureen Leblanc wrote:
>
>>It's not that rmd posts are a *problem*. Some hwy61-l subscribers do
>>post from rmd, and under self moderation, their posts are automatically
>>placed on the list.
>>
>>The problem arises when someone subscribes to the list at one of
>>these free services like hotmail etc., then posts from an address
>>that isn't subscribed. Those posts have to be reviewed by *me*.
>>
>>This causes me *plenty* of extra work.
>>

>Can't you make them NOMAIL on the accounts where they read, but let them
>post from the ones they use?  I have a subscriber who does this, I just set
>him nomail on one, and index on the other.  That way, he can access all the
>subscriber benefits from either account, without causing anyone any trouble

This would be ideal, as Dan Lester also suggested.

When I find someone posting with the same name, obviously the same
person - from a second account - I sign that second address up to
hwy61-l, set it to nomail, mail them and call it a service.

The original message though, as posted to hwy61-l (and therefore to
rec.music.dylan) spoke to the idea of subbing to a free service
with a *dummy name*, getting one's hwy61-l at that address, then
posting via rmd.

Though it didn't directly say so, the implication was that when one
posted to rmd, one would not be subscribed.

Here's the original post:

>1.  Set yourself up a hotmail account (www.hotmail.com) under a
>dummy name.  Subscribe to HWY61-L.  Use the account for nothing
>else.  That way you get the digests (or whatever you want).
>
>2.  Post to rmd under your own name/normal address.

It *may* mean post to rmd under your own name/normal address while
also subscribed to hwy61-l from that address too, but ....

Experience with masses of posts daily coming to me for review tell
me that it means something else.

Maureen
HWY61-L