"Ahern, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:54:22 -0800
Hi-

I am getting Daily Error Monitoring Reports that contain references to
accounts the do not even exist on the list. These are private,
approval-only lists that require domain authentication for website
access (and are SSL). I cannot understand why I would get monitoring
reports for accounts not actually subscribed.

I know that the spam-generating viruses going around can fake mail from
any accounts, so when I see that stuff, I know it isn't real. But how on
earth can anything make my listserv ping or probe a non-subscribed
account and then send me a report of the results? I am baffled. This
person is not a subscriber - how can they be monitored?

Here's one of the reports:

The following 1 subscriber is currently being monitored:

Err First Last  Address
--- ----- ----- -------
                Last error: SMTP; 550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias:

TIA for any insight!

Shannon

Shannon Ahern
DevelopMentor
Website Project Manager
310-543-1716
Malum consilium quod mutari non potest.
It is a bad plan that cannot be changed.