Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:51:28 -0300
 From my point of view, this isn't about the legal issues (which there
may be some of; I'm no expert).  The problem with the case posed here
(which I agree is a poser) for me is that once I've agreed to edit the
archive I'm now responsible for everything on it -- I chose not to
edit, or to edit. And I don't mean legally responsible (again, I don't
know about that, and I expect it's a horrible snarl): what I mean is
that now I'm open to making decision after decision about attemptng to
alter the past. That way lies madness.

Also, I think that it can be argued that once that personal
information's been posted on a public list, it's no longer actually
retrievable, because of the likelihood that others have retained
copies in their mailboxes, or, even leaving that aside, the existence
of the Wayback Machine.

My view remains: I don't edit the archive.

-- Russ

Russell Hunt
Department of English
St. Thomas University