Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 15:37:18 +0200
Well, we  have software in  beta with which a  PC can handle  the mailing
list needs of any site in  the world, except for L-Soft itself (1,600,000
daily deliveries). Actually L-Soft's workload *should* fit on a dual P133
system, but  as we've already got  more powerful hardware in  place there
would be  little point in  spending more money  buying a slower  and less
upgradable machine to do  the same thing. And as for  disk space, you can
get 2G  for around $1k, and  you can count  the sites that use  more than
that on the fingers of one hand.  So, I wouldn't worry too much about the
demise of mailing lists. For around  $25k you can get a LISTSERV facility
with 2G  of disk space and  capacity for ~1M daily  deliveries, including
all the necessary software licenses. Of course if you don't need 1M daily
deliveries there will be even cheaper solutions.

  Eric