Lisa Wainscott <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 17:52:21 +0500
I'm a new member of this list and I'm hoping this is the right group
to ask a few general questions.  Please let me know if these questions
are more appropriate for another listserv.

I'm trying to determine the best way to deliver information to a group
of 300-400 people:  listserv or email.  Our professional association wants
to start sending periodic job postings to the members of the group who
ask to receive it.  No one has volunteered to moderate discussions or
handle software glitches as on a traditional listserv, but we do have
someone willing to post the jobs to the list.  We like the idea of group
members subscribing and unsubscribing to the service
themselves. I have three main questions:

1.  Can a listserv be set up only to deliver mail to the group from only one
source and not accept group postings?

2.  How much cost and "troubleshooting time" is involved in starting and
maintaining a listserv for 300-400 people?

3.  From your experience, would we be better off in terms of time and
cost just using group email postings and manually adding and deleting people
from a list upon request?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Lisa M. Wainscott
Employment Committee
Southwestern Ohio Society for Technical Communication