Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 20 Jun 1995 01:51:10 +0200
I've had  that kind of  situation a few times  myself. The good  thing is
that  after my  boss told  them that  they were  welcome to  send further
comments to their private wastebasket to  save him the trouble, they gave
up. I guess it's  a cultural thing. In some countries  there is a general
assumption  that  people are  doing  their  job correctly  unless  proven
otherwise. If your boss says that the  situation is ok, it will take some
pretty serious accusations with tangible  backing to stir the higher ups.
In  other countries,  it,  uh,  works differently  :-)  With lists  about
politics  or religion,  that  kind of  nonsense  is probably  inevitable,
though. I  guess the  only 100% proof  solution would be  to get  a shell
account from some Internet provider and run the list on a commercial list
provider that will let you discuss  anything as long as it's not unlawful
and you pay your bills. Your employer will probably not want to stick its
nose in anything you do from  home using a provider account. The provider
will  be  used to  getting  bogus  complaints from  disgruntled  filtered
subscribers and  will have mechanisms  for handling them  efficiently :-)
And, of course, no idiot in his right mind would ever dreaming of suing a
company like AOL or CompuServe to have your account closed.

  Eric