Wed, 19 Apr 1995 11:29:32 -0700
  To change the subject completely:

  Occasionally, some of us get notes posted that are not advertisements as
such, but that are requesting money for various funds and/or foundations. I am
unsure of how to deal with such items on my lists. On the one hand, if the
foundation is connected with the subject of the list, it is probably a good
place to solicit donations and interest from. On the other hand, I would
regard these as junkmail if I received them in my snailmail box, and throw
them out at once.
   I also do not like the precendent that it sets. How will we know if the
foundation/charitiy that is requesting money is legitimate? As a director for
a not-for-profit research organization myself, I can see why it is so tempting
to ask for help on the Net.
   Any thoughts on this matter?

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
INTERNET: [log in to unmask]  Owner: HISTARCH, SPANBORD