Ballew Kinnaman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 18:16:30 -0500
Dear LISTSERV Owner Folks,

I have a problem which I thought I understood until just now.  Please help
with your knowledge and experience.  I can't figure out a way to *rename* a
list!  I can move it and change it, but how does one rename it?

** The Situation:  **

1.  An older list (C+Health), with several years of archives, moved from one
host to another using the New-List header.  The new host is not yet running
version c, so we don't have database searching (back) available yet, but
otherwise all is well.  Archives and list operation are running smoothly.

2.  The list members voted to change the name of the list to PCHealth, which
a.) better describes the purpose of the list and b.) does NOT contain a "+"
character in the name, which was causing some isolated technical problems
for some users.

3.  A new list was created, the archives were renamed and the LISTSERV host
accepted them under the new name of PCHealth.  The subscribers were moved
from the old C+Health list to PCHealth.

** The Problem:  **

When I tried to forward all incoming C+Health traffic to PCHealth using the
"new-list" header, I discovered that the "new-list" header only works when
moving an identically named list from one LISTSERV host to another.

Is there an analogous command for RENAMED lists?  Is there a trick?

What sort of work-arounds have you used?  What comes to mind?

Because C+Health is several years old, I'm afraid that people will continue
to look for it by name for years based on references to it throughout the
Net, and not know that it's NAME is changed, but it's still here.  Is there
anything I can do at this point?  <glum pout>

Thanks for any suggestions or commiseration!

 Pax,
Ballew Kinnaman  <[log in to unmask]>  512/463-9321
Discussion list owner -- Allergy - PCHealth - Rubber
Allergy LISTSERV list ---> http://www.immune.com/allergy
Rubber LISTSERV list ---> http://www.immune.com/rubber