Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 11:25:49 -0500

>My subscriber does not want her real name displayed in messages that come through the list, though a real name is required to be subscribed to the list (not by LISTSERV but by me as list owner), but in a test e-mail she sent to me just now, the From field indicates that her name, either her real name or the one she wishes to be displayed for other list members to see, is not being included by her e-mail software, and LISTSERV is thus adding her name based upon how she is subscribed to the list.  Is this a correct assumption about how LISTSERV handles the firstname and lastname parameters from the original subscribe request?  Or should I be looking at something completely different?

That is my experience.  If you supply a name when when send mail to a list, that name will be used.  If you don't have *any* name in your mail, the server will use the name that you have registered.  You register implicitly when you join a list and supply a name.  You can register explicitly with the register command that was already discussed.
--
What do you call a boomerang that doesn't work?  --- A stick.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Information Technology Services, Penn State University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)