Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Oct 1996 08:59:48 -0700
I have been trying to reach the LISTSERV Maintainer at Brown U for a few
times now... He seems to be a busy guy as he is the CMS maintainer I
would believe that makes him a very sollicited individual on big campus.
I do respect sys programmers.

My question now:
Is it possible that the bounces or mail errors are trapped by CMS before
even getting to LISTSERV ?

The errors-to= is now set to another co-owner e-mail address and he told
me that the CMS Maintainer at Brown U. did something to "filter out"
errors messages that went from 1000-2000 msg a day to a few (we average
nearly 100 messages a day so I believe 10 or 20 "bad addresses" would
generate 1000-2000 individual bounce messages.

Now in the list header there is no "Auto-delete=" keyword...

Does LISTSERV 1.8b has a default Day(X),Max(Y) "built in" Setup ?

Which raise the question does any keyword not explicitely in the header
is defaulted to default value if needed ?

What protocols are "ignored" by LISTSERV delete mechanism ?
BSMTP ? (Manual states that LMail, MX V3.2+, PMDF V4.2+, LSMTP are taken
care of) Does it relate to the original send protocol or the last leg if
the message is relayed ?

Does LISTSERV sites (in that case a BITNET node) have a "meta-setup"
config where it goes to look for undefined keyword ?
Can bounces messages be piped to a /dev/null type of trash can and die
there unnoticed ?

The list is presently set to Send-Public and all the users having
trouble getting posts through have been checked to have the REPRO option
setup.

I will gladly any help in this matter or some URL to a ressource that
can help debugging e-mail transmissions to a LISTSERV site running under
VM with this version:
> > RELEASE
> LISTSERV-NJE for VM version 1.8b (FIX18B5), managed by:
>   Peter DiCamillo <[log in to unmask]>

The list BLUES-L is hosted by [log in to unmask]

Thank you all in advance ...

--
Eric Paul-Hus , BLUES-L

PS For those who may think I have something against the Big Blue and the
EBCDIC heritage... It is not so, I am only trying to figure out where
the link is cut between users mail host and Brown VM LISTSERV Host.