"Humphrey,Mindy" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:51:16 -0400
Russ,    I know I do not put anything with Attachments=   unless I do want
attachments.  My knowledge is default you cannot send attachments.

-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Hicks [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 1:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Attachments and Mail Templates

Hello,

I'm new to this list, but I hope someone can help me.  I run two
specialized listserv lists at Temple University in Philadelphia and I'm
trying to eliminate attachments coming into one of the lists.  In my list
header, I inserted the line ...

     Attachments= No

Then I sent a test attachment to the list and got back the message ...

    >>> Mail template "BAD_ATTACHMENT" not found <<<

In looking through the massive on-line listserv documentation (gasp!), it
appears that I need to add a mail template to my list somehow, some place,
some way.  I have no idea what I'm doing and I need help.  I'd really like
to have someone who understands all this to walk me through what I need to
do.

I'm pretty computer literate, but have very limited experience with the
listserv software.  I'd rather not spend the time or effort to get a Ph.D.
in listserv just to learn how to handle templates - whatever they are.  But
in reading some of the documentation (at least those parts that I could
understand), it appears that mail templates could solve many of the other
needs of my lists.  I would eventually like to put a "How to unsubscribe"
line at the bottom of every post, and develop a subscription questionnaire
for potential new members, among other things.  So I believe I really need
to understand about templates.

Another aspect of all this that really concerns me is that I'm terrified of
crashing a stable production list that is doing a good job as is just
because I'm tinkering with things that I know very little about.  I went
through a lot of trepidation just adding that "Attachments= No" line to the
list header.  Is there somewhere I can learn and test out things in a test
environment without endangering a production list?

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give me!  I look forward
to hearing from someone soon.

Best regards,

Russ Hicks

Dallas, Texas