Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 19:27:53 GMT
On Fri, 20 Jun 1997 06:11:00 -0400, Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>It kind of
>defeats the purpose, because the troublemakers usually become even more
>invective and p/od, and continue to rant and rave on the lists. Ack.

If they are set to Review, they can only 'rant and rave' if you OK the msgs
and let them go on to the list.  If your list has no 'acceptable conduct'
rules, then maybe it needs them.  What you choose to do with your list is,
of course, up to you.

Looking at the larger issue, some people complain that Review is
censorship, a violation of 'freedom of speech'.  The actual rule is that
the Government shall not abridge freedom of speech.  Nowhere does it
promise that I as a list owner must yield up use of my list (soapbox) to
Rant-n-User.

You can say your say, but it doesn't have to be on my nickel, and I don't
have to listen to a thing you say.  Nor _must_ I allow you to force your
views on the other subscribers to the list if they also don't want to hear
it.  In a real sense, a list is a kind of private property, and since
membership (subscribing) is voluntary, things not desired can be shut out.
That may not leave the ranter happy, but that's a different issue.  Freedom
of speech is not prevented, but an audience was never guaranteed.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]