Tom Rawson <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 01:02:54 -0600
On 27 Jul 01, Ben Parker wrote:

> I agree with Doug on this.  The List Owner gets to set a rule (sizelim) for
> whatever reasons.  It kind of makes a bad example if the List Owner then turns
> around and violates her/his own rule.  perhaps either fine tune the posting size
> to fit or fine tune the sizelim so the posting fits with need for an exception.

I disagree.  List Owners have all kindsof legitimate reasons for exceeding
the limit just as they do for exceeding the daily limit on number of
messages, which is permitted.  On our list we have a policy document that
is well over the limit but is a perfectly legitimate post.

There is often no issue of setting an example, because the list members'
posts are almost all under the limit anyway, and the list owner posts that
need to exceed it are rare (e.g. posting an FAQ) and would not be seen as
examples.

I think the best compromise is the Review keyword someone suggested.

-----
Tom Rawson           [log in to unmask]